Sunday, November 3, 2013

What's Your Passion?

One prayer I’ve often heard from women is that God would lead them in the direction that God desires for them to go. I myself have prayed that prayer many times. I believe that part of God’s calling and direction for our lives is to follow our dreams and passions – after all, it is God who places those desires in our hearts. But how do we know what those passions are? Or how do we know if we even have a passion for something? 
Is photography a passion of yours?
According to speaker, mom and missionary, Lauri Desir, there are seven questions you can ask yourself that will help you to determine your passion. These seven questions include: 

1. What puts a smile on my face? 
2. What do I find easy 
3. What sparks my creativity? 
4. What would I do for free? 
5. What do I like to talk about? 
6. What makes me unafraid of failure? 
7. What would I regret not having tried? 

For me, in thinking about these questions, I know that writing and blogging are definite passions of mine. I could write and blog all day every day without getting tired of it. And I know that’s how some women feel about their own passions – cooking, gardening, speaking, photography mission work, evangelism, just to name a few. 
My brother and his wife have a passion for missions - this photo was taken while they were in Kenya


During a presentation at Java JOY, Lauri gave some great ideas on how to go about discovering and pursuing our passions. Some of the ideas she gave were:
  • Setting goals
  • Journaling
  • Making a purpose statement for your life
  • Going on a personal retreat
  • Writing out a personal/family mission statement
  • Making a bucket list
  • Memorizing scripture
Lauri also gave some great advice about not saying yes to everything every time someone asks you to get involved in a project, a ministry, a Bible study, or other event. While we must listen closely to God’s guidance we must also not feel guilty by saying no. Lauri said we can ask ourselves two questions when deciding whether or not go get involved:
  1. Does this fit into my goals and passions?
  2. Will this add or subtract to where I am going?
Memorizing scripture can help us in discovering our passions
I myself am totally guilty of saying YES! to everything – as I believe most women are. Sometimes when women are busy it gives them a sense of importance and makes them feel like they really matter. But busyness can be a major downfall of pursuing God’s purpose and plan for our lives. If we are too busy, how can we hear God’s voice and discern what he wants us to pursue rather than what we want to pursue?

I personally am coming into a season of saying NO! This is not easy for me as I am someone who doesn’t want to feel like she’s missing out in what is going on. I love Bible studies, small groups, women’s ministries and Christian events. But this year, I feel God wants me to narrow my involvement and focus on just a few things, one of which includes the book I am writing.

So what about you – do you know what your passions are? How are you pursuing your dreams and goals in 2013? Are there some things you need to say no to?

In closing here are some great scriptures to keep in mind as you reflect on the above questions:

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21

Those who disregard discipline despise themselves, but the one who heeds correction gains understanding. Proverbs 15:32

You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Psalm 73:24

No comments: