Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Look Back at the Book Healing for Damaged Emotions

Welcome to Write On's Throwback Thursday (#tbt) where I'll be featuring a blast from the past in the form of photos, a blog post or who knows what else!

This week's TBT is an article I wrote for HubPages way back on January 29, 2010.  Of course the whole world is mourning the passing of the amazing and talented Robin Williams and there has been an increase in dialogue on depression and suicide.

I wanted to share this post as a way of helping people to know there is hope in overcoming depression. I myself was healed of clinical depression and I give God all the glory for His healing touch in my life. I pray that He would do the same for others who suffer with this terrible condition.

"Satan knows your weaknesses; he understands your infirmities and uses them to great advantages against you."
Pastor David Seamands Author of Healing for Damaged Emotions
 Image Source via Flickr @ darcyadelaide
How can a Christian be depressed, you might ask. Aren't they supposed to have the "joy of the Lord?" Take a look at the following scriptures:
  • "Why art thou cast down, O my soul?" Psalm 42:5
  • "It is better for me to die than to live" Jonah 4:3
  • "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death" Matthew 26:38
As you can see, there were people who, like David, Jonah and Jesus Himself, experienced depression. Dr. Seamands stresses that "our failure to deal realistically with ourselves regarding depression is the root cause of much of our depression."  Go to my HubPages article Healing for Damaged Emotions.

No comments: